Cutting through the noise is a challenge at SXSW. So we were incredibly lucky to have two PR pros host a Salon about how to stand out as a startup.
Sharam Fouladgar-Mercer, CEO and Rebekah Iliff, Director of Product at AirPR discussed how startups can leverage the ideas of Lean PR to build campaigns and engage progressive PR experts that are a good fit with startup culture.
We learned about the marketplace they’re building with AirPR, an invite-only, “Match.com” for the PR business and also talked about the importance of telling a good story.
Here are some highlights from this amazing session:
- “Let’s bring back what PR is truly about: creating an entire public relations strategy that includes developing a steady drumbeat of information – helping position your company as a leader, not just getting one big story out about your company.”
- “A good PR person stays out of the way of the relationship, they are the connector. The PR person is there to fill in the gaps that the client may miss, but first and foremost, the PR person is a strategist who will help craft your message.”
- “When a startup is first launching, they should aim to have some kind of announcement every 6-8 weeks.”
- “The new PR economy is around content and thought leadership and driving the narrative forward.”
- “Give a good story and look for your best customer evangelists – it’s so much better coming from them if they’re qualified to speak on your behalf and believe in what you’re doing.”
Huge thanks to Sharam and Rebekah – we’re excited to see you continue to transform the PR industry. Check out what they’re up to here: https://www.airpr.com/about